»

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas



On August 19, 2003 I wrote this in my book journal:

Tonight I finished "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" by James Patterson. this was a very moving book about a woman who keeps a diary for her son. Telling him stories about how she and his father met and have such a wonderful marriage and family. Every entry into her journal is filled with words of love for her husband and her son. Suzanne has a heart condition though and one morning on her way to run an errand she has a heart attack and crashes. She didn't survive and neither did her son Nicholas who was with her. This book is mainly about her husband healing from the pain of two losses. He eventually is able to come to terms with it and shares this diary with his girlfriend.

I think this book was so moving for mr because I am pregnant and cannot bear the thought of losing my husband and child. What a terrible thing to have to endure.

My favorite quote in this book is really not a quote at all. It's a lesson that Suzanne refers to in her diary to her son several times. Life is like juggling 5 balls. The balls are work, family, health, friends and integrity. One day you finally have to understand that work is a rubber ball, it will bounce back. The other 4 are made of glass. If you drop one of these it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered.

An important lesson, I think. Especially since "family" has taken on a whole new meaning for me lately. I hope that I love my baby as much as Suzanne clearly loved Nicholas. And I hope that Him and I continue to have the wonderful relationship/marriage we have after this exciting new addition is finally here.

0 comments: