»

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Exile

On November 13, 2004 I wrote this in my book journal:

After "The Taking" I read "The Exile" by Alan Folsom. I picked up this book at Costco. We have sold our house and moved into a rental until our new house is finished. Because we will only be here a few months, all my boods are packed. So, not having anything to read, I grabbed a few books while we were out picking up diapers and formula.

This was a very long book. 702 pages. But it was well worth the time. I was very disappointed after the last book and thought that nothing would ever measure up to "The DaVinci Code." This book was really good. I have never heard of the author but I really enjoyed this book.

It was about a detective who is trying to catch a serial murderer. There were so many stories and plots and people that it was sometimes hard to keep track. The killer escapes him in L.A. so even though the detective was kicked off the force because the guy killed his leader, the detective follows him to Europe to track him down and get his revenge. In the meantime, the criminal, I think his name is Alexander seduces the detective's sister after he had plastic surgery so he couldn't be recognized.

After the detective finds out who he is, he traps him and his new partner kills Alexander. The sister is distraught until she finds out his true identity and then lives happily ever after. Sounds stupid, I know but the author is a very good storyteller. I definitely had a hard time putting it down when it was time to go to sleep.

0 comments: