»

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Great Train Robbery


On January 20, 2003 I wrote in my book journal:

I also read this book as part of my book club but when our book club met I had only read about 3/4 of it. I have since finished it and I think this is one of the most well written books I have ever read. Crichton did a wonderful job of developing the characters. So well, that even though this book is listed as non-fiction, I'm convinced it's true.

It is about a train robbery in England in the 1850's. The main character Edward Pierce masterminds the entire plan for stealing gold from a train. He planned the robbery for over a year. Working out all the details and solving any problem that presented itself. The robbery went off without a hitch. They layed low for a year and a girlfriend of one of the men involved in the robbery told the police what she knew. The men were all convicted and sentenced but Pierce and two of his accomplices escaped on the way to the prison from the courthouse. They, nor the money was ever found.

This was a good book, well written, entertaining and very clever. I only wish all the books chosen by our book club were this fun.

0 comments: