»

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Rescue

I finished this book sometime last week. I've really been slacking on my blogging lately so I'm trying to get caught up tonight. We'll see how that goes. . .

The Rescue was basically a love story. Woman in peril. Man in uniform. Man saves woman. Man is confused. Can't figure out whether or not its related to being faced with a commitment or whether or not he remembered to put deodorant on that particular morning. Nonetheless, love prevailed, as it always (never) does.

I needed a feel good novel on account of having the blues lately. All this book did was make me cry or make me mad. By the time I was on page 17, I could see exactly what was going to happen. Unfortunately, I had already cried once and was emotionally invested in the book. I finished it. It wasn't BAD, I just hate hate HATE it when men write novels about love and women. And the way they make women act is so degrading and insulting. Like all real women want is a ride to work and someone to play catch with their son. Blech.

I should have known better. Nicholas Sparks, you don't know shit about Xs and Ys. Maybe someday, a woman will take a frying pan to his head and then he'll have a better perspective. I'm just sayin'.

I did have a favorite quote, though. NS isn't all that bad, I suppose. "People come, people go - they'll drift in and out of your life, almost like characters in a favorite book. When you finally close the cover, the characters have told their story and you start up again with another book, comlete with new characters and adventures. Then you find yourself focusing on the new ones, not the ones from the past." I don't necessarily agree 100%, but it sure does make me feel better about those people that have drifted in and out of my life. Maybe, just maybe, I offered something to their life. . .

0 comments: