»

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

London Bridges



Tonight I finished reading London Bridges by James Patterson. Mark your calendars. I'm very serious about this. I will NEVER pick up a James Patterson book again. And not because I've read them all. I haven't. However, I have read enough of them to know that I never want to read another one again!

I shouldn't dread my glass of wine and 30 minutes of alone time in the jacuzzi with my book. I should't rejoice in the nights I don't have time to read, thinking "thank GOD I don't have to read that stupid book tonight!"

This book was just like any of his other books. Good, until you reach the half-way-mark and from there on out, absolutely dreadful. This book was about some Russian Mafia guy blowing up cities around the world. Specificly, bridges. In London. Hence the title London Bridges, I suppose. The Mafia guy's code name is The Wolf. Alex, the detective in all of James Patterson books I think, is on assignment to capture this man.

He catches him, but it's not really him. Then he catches her and it's not really her. Then he catches him and it's really him. But wait. No it's not. Then he catches him again, then FINALLY, the book ends.

I've been having reader's block lately. Nothing seems to be a really good read. Another one of the mothers in my twin's club suggested reading some Jeffrey Deaver so I think I'll give him a try. I bought enough of his books at the book sale to keep me going for a while so we will see.

Maybe I'm just being cynical. I try to pick a quote from every book that I read that I find moving. I simply fold down the corner of the page and read it after I finish the book and see what I think. See if it still hold some meaning. As I turn to the page I ear-marked, it's weird to see that I picked such a morose quote from this terrible book...

"All bets are off nowadays. Anything can happen, and sooner or later, it probably will. We don't seem to be getting any smarter as a species, just crazier and crazier. Or at the very least, a whole lot more dangerous. Unvelievably, unbearably more dangerous."

Holy crap! Looks like my next book needs to be The Complete Idiot's Guide to Happiness. Does such a book exist?

2 comments:

Side by Side said...

Wow...what a quote to pick!

I never in a million years would have thought of picking out a quote from a book. Now you are going to make me think too! Dang it Marla!!!

The Whyte House said...

I just saw you list of books that you want to read. You must read Water for Elephants next. I thought it was a great book. One of those that you mourn when it's over.